There Will Be Stars

Monday 28 November 2016

Title: There Will Be Stars
Author: Billy Coffey
Published: 3rd May 2016
My Rating: 3/5
Recommend: Yes/No
Synopsis: 



“In a life full of lies, he settled finally for the truth.”


No one in Mattingly ever believed Bobby Barnes would live to see old age. Drink would either rot Bobby from the inside out or dull his senses just enough to send his truck off the mountain on one of his nightly rides. Although Bobby believes such an end possible—and even likely—it doesn’t stop him from taking his twin sons Matthew and Mark into the mountains one Saturday night. A sharp curve, blinding headlights, metal on metal, his sons’ screams. Bobby’s final thought as he sinks into blackness is a curious one—there will be stars.


Yet it is not death that greets him beyond the veil. Instead, he returns to the day he has just lived and finds he is not alone in this strange new world. Six others are trapped there with him.


Bobby soon discovers that rather than the place of peace he had been led to believe he was in, it’s actually a place of secrets and hidden dangers. Along with three others, he seeks to escape, even as the world around him begins to crumble. The escape will lead some to greater life, others to endless death . . . and Bobby Barnes to understand the deepest nature of love.
 





Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review (thanks to Booklook Bloggers)

Bummer. I wish I could say I enjoyed this series but unfortunately I didn't, there is nothing wrong with the plot, its me, all me. I'm not really in to reading this type of books but I thought I would give it a try anyways and see how I felt about it.

Bobby and his twin sons Mark and Matt embark on a epic journey every night to the mountain on their way home, one night a tragic accident leaves them in a unknown world. A somewhat purgatory where Bobby and 6 others are trapped in this unknown world which they call "The Turn", where no times exists, everyday is exactly the same as the other. I found this quite interesting, this 'Turn' which is what kept me going most of the way, I wanted to know what exactly is this place, where no change occurs, everything is put back in its place and the most odd of them all, each character goes through motion of their death every single night. YES. EVERY. SINGLE.NIGHT. How tedious can that be? The twists and turns in the book deserve a pat on the back (no seriously) I totally did not expect them at all, some of the grey area's is what made this book more interesting and gave it an extra star (hooray for that!)

Bobby is an alcoholic, spends most of his days drinking beer in the house with his sons. That all changes when he enters the "Turn". He wasn't always like this, ever since he lost everything, he lost his faith and belief in God, in his opinion if there was a divine being he would have never let this happen. Although you do see some character development, I can't say it is a huge change. Bobby has suspicion of this world they live in and is constantly questioning their presence in the 'Turn' alongside with George (retired teacher) and Juliet (preacher). What I liked about the characters was how real they were that might sound like a cliche but often in books characters have flaws but they are unrealistic. These characters had flaws and self doubt about their being, identity and purpose. Just like me (just kidding).

This book is soooooo long, like seriously long (three parts long!). I know other reviewers have mentioned this but there were a lot of places where the pace was extremely slow like snail pace slow which is maybe okay for some readers but for me, its unnecessary really. It slows the progress of the book down and gets boring which makes me lose interest (I don't intend to be mean, but it was just like that for me).

Otherwise, this had a lot of potential as the author is extremely articulated as illustrated in the book, but unfortunately for me it won no brownie points (this makes me hungry)
.

**oh darn I forgot to the thank Harper Collins and Thomas Nelson publishers. Thank you so much for this**


Have you ever read any books like this? Ever felt like you just wanted to put book down and read something else? Tell me in the comments below, I want to know what you think!







Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.