Red

Tuesday 3 May 2016


Title: Red: The True Story of Riding Hood
Author: Liesl Shurtliff
Published: 12th April 2016
My Rating: 4/5
Recommend: Yes  
Synopsis:

Red is not afraid of the big bad wolf. She’s not afraid of anything . . . except magic.
But when Red’s granny falls ill, it seems that only magic can save her, and fearless Red is forced to confront her one weakness.

With the help of a blond, porridge-sampling nuisance called Goldie, Red goes on a quest to cure Granny. Her journey takes her through dwarves’ caverns to a haunted well and a beast’s castle. All the while, Red and Goldie are followed by a wolf and a huntsman—two mortal enemies who seek the girls’ help to defeat each other. And one of them just might have the magical solution Red is looking for. . . .

Liesl Shurtliff weaves a spellbinding tale, shining the spotlight on a beloved character from her award-winning debut, Rump. 
 
And don't miss Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk, "a delightful story of family, perseverance and courage"



I received this book in an exchange for an honest review

I honestly LOVED this book so much, like SO MUCH!!!! This might be a middle grade book but I thought the message in this book was so powerful. Red is a very special girl. She and her grandma can do magic, she often gets bullied because of it. No one wants to play with her because of it and calls her grandma a 'witch'.

This book exceeded my expectations, I honestly thought this would be similar to the tale we were taught in schools and often read in books but this was something amazing by itself. Can you believe Goldie is in this book? Oh my gosh!!!! This story just gets better, imagine some of the most epic tales you have read as a child with a dark twist is included in this book! Beauty and the Beast??? Wolf? Dwarf? I know I keep using exclamation marks but I am just trying to emphasise my point, honestly this book was soooo good.

Red is typical girl in her teens who self doubts herself and loves her grandma very much. After one horrible incident she vows to never use magic again since she can never get it right. But the journey she takes once her grandma is ill soon challenges her strength and teaches her some valuable lessons. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Goldie, she was a blabber mouth to put it in a simple way who would never know when to shut up but really she is a insecure girl who is looking for something to make her mother love her again. I loved the WOLF in this story, he was something so unexpected, Wolf is kind of like her spirit animal that she bonds with. Since I love wolves, I was hoping for something more to happen in the end and I was a little disappointed when they both had their happy endings and went their separate ways. I might have shed a tear or two.

This book is powerful in teaching kids that you can never run from what is meants to be yours, and you can never ever cheat death. Each one is appointed a time when they will have to leave this world eventually, until then learn to make the best of every moment. I also loved, how not everything is how it seems, you can totally expect the unexpected in this book.
 



Do you have any favourite MG books? Let me know in the comments below!

Happy Reading!

Like what you read? Don't forget to share this! ^^

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.