Passenger #1

Monday 21 November 2016



Title: The Passenger
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Published: 5th January 2016
My Rating: 2/5
Recommend: Erm..yes/no
Synopsis:


Passage, n.
i. A brief section of music composed of a series of notes and flourishes.
ii. A journey by water; a voyage.
iii. The transition from one place to another, across space and time.

In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now.


Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods—a powerful family in the colonies—and the servitude he’s known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can’t escape and the family that won’t let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, Nicholas’ passenger, can find. In order to protect her, he must ensure she brings it back to them—whether she wants to or not.


Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods’ grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are playing, treacherous forces threaten to separate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home... forever.




Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review


I am crying right now. I wanted to enjoy this book so freakingly much that maybe I over did it on my hype. I really don't know what happened 


I am utterly baffled with what happened to me about this book, I started enjoying it and then it got to the point where I couldn't bear to read it anymore and it gave me a reading slump so bad that it was months before I finally finished this book. Not any fault with the book, I normally would love books like this but I lost interest on the way and gave it a low reading so unlike me 


It's set in different era's (1776, 1940, 1910, 1685 and 1599) which was one of the reasons I felt the book is so long, it was hard to keep up with the what was happening. I kept stopping and trying to get back in to it. I tried to do this book justice but sadly I couldn't get in to it, it started to become a burden. Alice is killed in front of Eva's eyes and she is whisked in to another dimension, where she comes to know the truth about her identity and her past. She finds out, along with her mum she is also a 'traveller' who can enter through passengers. Ironwood is the head family, the one with power who has some business with Eva's mum, he wants the astrolabe (interesting name). Enters Nicholas who has a deal with Cyrus to ensure Eva finds it and he brings it back to him, in return he has enough wealth to buy his own and finally take control of his life.


I really loved the fact that there was diverse characters in this book, this book community needs more books like this.


There wasn't really much character development through this book since the first few chapters Eva's is doubting herself and her mom. Then she finds out her mom has been teaching her tricks along the way. She is only confident about one thing and fights for it: Nicholas. Her epic romance with Nicholas is truly something special, although it isn't love at first sight (thank god for that). Nicholas fights his desire and wanting Eva throughout the whole book, it is only towards the end does he finally give himself over. I was a little disappointed with him, he knew how Eva felt toward him yet he still chose to fight it instead of giving in.


Only two main things kept this book going for me, Bracken's mention of cultural backgrounds and as I have mentioned before the diverse characters. The romance was like a strawberry on top of a ice cream sundae. Yum.


I really am disappointed with this, I wanted to enjoy this so much but I think me reading it and not reading is probably what destroyed the enjoyment for me. Do you have any books where your excited to read it but then you end up not liking it?


 Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^

 Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

Post a Comment

Welcome © . Theme by STS.